Re: Help: Unwinding the C++ stack...throw, longjmp & threads

Hi,

On Tue, 24 Aug 1999, George T. Talbot wrote:

> Ulrich Drepper wrote:
> >
> > "George T. Talbot" <george@moberg.com> writes:
> >
> > > The size went from 1.2MB to 1.4MB.  Is that an acceptable size
> > > increase?
> >
> > Certainly not.  This increase is completely unused in most cases.
>
> What would be an acceptable size increase?  Did the people who
> complained
> say what would be acceptable or did they just complain?  ;^)

i thought all (well, 99%) addition went to rodata or equivalent section,
so if it is not used, is is not paged in.
Could you please run size -A on old and new library and tell
where the difference went?

> > > As to performance, do you have a standard method of measuring overall
> > > performance?
> >
> > No.
>
> What methods do you guys use now to determine what is and what isn't an
> acceptable performance hit when, say, you're experimenting with
> different
> compiler optimization flags?
>
> I'm trying to get an idea of what is and what isn't acceptable.  I have
> no problem doing the hard work of implementing a fix to pthread_cancel()
> under Linux, and I have no problem doing the hard work of measurement,
> but
> I need some objective criteria for doing the measurement so I don't walk
> down a dead-end path.

umm...
cam run some computational tests for you but not sure it will
stress the difference...

OK