Re: Fwd: __setfpucw

   Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 12:41:30 -0400
   From: Zack Weinberg <zack@rabi.columbia.edu>

   On 20 May 1999 22:10:07 -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:
   >Joel Klecker <jk@espy.org> writes:
   >
   >> Can I get some comments on this?
   >
   >__setfpucw is internal and always should have treated like this.
   >Glibc 2.1 provides the functionality in a standard interface (see
   >fenv.h).

   The C9x <fenv.h> interface isn't nearly as flexible as some programs would
   like.  You can't request signals for a specific subset of the IEEE
   exceptions, for instance.  I'd like to see the SVID <ieeefp.h> interface in
   2.2.

What's so inflexible about the C9x interface?  My impression is that
anything beyond that interface is very hardware dependent.  I cannot
imagine an interface that would be that much easier to use than
inline assembly.

Besides, I cannot find anything about <ieeefp.h> in System V ABI
documentation (Edition 4.1).  IMHO the only reason for adding such an
interface would be to support ``legacy'' programs.

Mark