Re: Problems with glibc-2.0.94

DK> Thanks for the tip.  I'll have to give that a try....  That would
DK> probably work best for me since I'm mostly interested in using these
DK> newer Glibcs only to compile the IPv6 net-tools package for now.

In that case giving the right arguments to gcc is only you need to
do.  I call gcc as follows for my glibc 2.0.7 test installation:
gcc  \
-L /usr/glibc/glibc-2.0.7/lib -I /usr/glibc/glibc-2.0.7/include \
-Wl,--rpath=/usr/glibc/glibc-2.0.7/lib \
-Wl,--dynamic-linker=/usr/glibc/glibc-2.0.7/lib/ld-linux.so.2

DK> Actually, though, I've had some luck getting things to work.  <pause>
DK> I'll detail below in case my idiot anecdote might prove helpful to
DK> someone looking to idiot proof the installation docs down the road or
DK> <pause> something like that.

DK> I've been following the steps outlined in the section "4. Installing
DK> as a test library" in the Glibc2 HOWTO at

DK>     'http://www.imaxx.net/~thrytis/glibc/Glibc2-HOWTO-4.html'.

DK> In its sub-section "4.2 Updating the dynamic loader", it recommends
DK> the following:

DK>     1.Create a link from the new ld.so to /lib/ld-linux.so.2:

DK>         ln -s /usr/i486-linuxglibc2/lib/ld-linux.so.2 /lib/ld-linux.so.2

DK>     This is the only library where the location is fixed once a
DK>     program is linked, and using a link in /lib will ease upgrading to
DK>     glibc as your primary C library when the stable version is
DK>     released.

DK> Having configured my stuff with '--prefix=/usr/local/glibc-2.0.94', I
DK> gave it a try, modified for my local installation, and then running
DK> 'ldconfig', having modified '/etc/ld.so.conf', to include the new path
DK> to the libs.  That didn't work and neither did ignoring the step
DK> above.
ldconfig doesn't always do what you like :-(.

DK> What finally worked for me was physically copying 'ld-2.0.94.so' into
DK> '/lib' and then running 'ldconfig' with the new '/etc/ld.so.conf'.
DK> I'm thinking that what was really happening is that when I ran
DK> 'ldconfig', it found the previous '/lib/ld-2.0.7.so' from RH5.1 and
DK> simply overwrote any of my attempts to point '/lib/ld-linux.so.2' at
DK> the '/usr/local' site, pointing '/lib/ld-linux.so.2' right back at
DK> '/lib/ld-2.0.7.so', yes?  And that the step 4.2.1 from above is only
DK> meant to work on systems without any prior versions of Glibc2 in
DK> '/lib'?
Yes to all of your questions;-).

You might want to tell Eric Green about your problems and help him to
improve the HowTo.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de