Re: new linux chown

> From: Ulrich Drepper <drepper@cygnus.com>
> Date: 08 Jun 1998 23:13:30 -0700

> Matt McLean <keys@brio.yikes.com> writes:
>
> > looking at uli's sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/i386/chown.c,
> >
> > it seems to me that it shouldn't be an architecture dependant file.
>
> Some port maintainers decided to not use this ugly hack.  And I would
> also prefer to not use it since only broken programs fail to continue
> to work.  For every port beside x86 I'd suggest to make a clean break
> immediately.

Suggestion: It would be much easier to write non-broken programs if
lchown() always worked where it was supported (which is everywhere).
That way, people don't need to worry about what chown they are
getting, they can just use lchown.

My problem is not with source compatibility (I've given up on that),
it's binary compatibility between programs compiled under different
kernel versions and libc 2.1.  For me, it's essential to be able to
compile programs under 2.0 kernels and have them run under 2.1, and
vice versa; because on PPC, you do not always have a choice as to
whether you run 2.0 or 2.1.

--
Geoff Keating <Geoff.Keating@anu.edu.au>