Re: Kawa (re-)licensing

Jim White wrote:
I suspect that most of Per's customers have actually contracted for customization work and not just a commercial license for Kawa.

I wish ...

There has been *one* commerical license, so far.

There have been one or two small support contracts.

There has been *one* large support/custimization/enhancement customer (Merced Systems).

I have not gotten rich from Kawa.  For now I'm managing, but I'm
actually increasing my indebtedness, and expect to continue doing so.
(In the interest of full disclosure: I'm slowly building a house in
the Sierras.  While the house is modest, building still takes a lot
of money, especially when it is 5+ miles from a paved road.)

I have not done a great job of selling either myself or Kawa.  In spite
that, I keep hearing about new projects and companies that use Kawa,
so it is clearly at least a modest success as a Free Software project.
But for now my income depends on a single company, and there is no
guarantee they will continue hiring me.

It is clear I could have made more money working for a high-tech company
on non-Kawa-related projects.  Let's hope I'm not forced to do that.
Changing the license is a gamble: it might help increase Kawa's
popularity and visibility, but it could also reduce licensing income.

When appropriate, please plug Kawa and tell people about it!  And if
your company can spare some money for a support or enhancement
contract that would be very welcome.