Re: simplicity vs. efficiency of algorithms in GSL

I mentally gave up on LAPACK as an option a long time ago.  The FLAME
library has more potential, it is LGPL'ed and faster than LAPACK, but
it does not have all the functionality [1].

Realistically I see the role of GSL as an alternative to Numerical
Recipes and other similar non-free libraries.  None of these have any
super features but they are still widely used.  As such, I would see
simplicity, ease of use and good documentation as priorities.

[1] http://www.cs.utexas.edu/users/flame/