Re: LAPACK vs. GSL matrix algebra

On Mon, 2004-09-27 at 10:35, kaska@yatsen.cas.McMaster.CA wrote:
> you can easily access the fortran routines from C.
> i always write C routines that access the fortran
> functions from LAPACK that i need.

GSL should provide an interface to these routines,
the way it does for BLAS. We thought about it years
ago, but it never got done. There were some issues,
but probably no show-stoppers.

This may be the most important open issue in GSL.
The question comes up quite often here, and the
usual answer, "well, you'll have to figure out how
to connect to LAPACK yourself", gets embarrassing.

By the way, I would appreciate any comments from
people using an external BLAS with the GSL interfaces.
In principle it should be as simple as replacing
"-lgslcblas" with "-lmycblas". But I have never
heard any complaints or discussion of any kind,
which makes me think that nobody is doing
it this way.

--
Gerard Jungman <jungman@lanl.gov>
Los Alamos National Laboratory