forwarded message from David Clifford

--- Begin Message ---
Brian,

thanks for the response.  I have attached 3 files

matrix.txt
matrix2.txt
results.txt
svd.c

the first 2 files each contain a 3 by 3 matrix.  The first matrix is
singular, the second is non-singular and the SVD decompostion is given in
results.txt and were calculated using Splus.

the program svd.c reads in a matrix, calculates the svd and outputs the
various pieces.  For matrix2 is works fine, for matrix1 it hangs at the
svd step.

I compiled the program using a make file with the lines

svd:    svd.c
        g++ -g -o svd svd.c -lgsl -lgslcblas

I am running the program on red hat linux release 7.2 (enigma)

To run the program type

svd

or

svd matrix2.txt

matrix.txt is the default file from which it will read in a matrix.  The
dimensions (3 by 3) are specified in the code itself.