Re: examples of Makefile and ODE for stiff equations, please..

Kenji Kadota <kadota@socrates.Berkeley.EDU> writes:

> 1. Example of Makefile for non-default path.
>
> Could you give me an example to compile/link a sample code ( especially
> example of Makefile if available) for the case when GSL is installed in
> non-default path.

This is my makefile, which is based on a gsl-installation in my
home-directory, apparently quite similar to what you have.

   CC           = gcc
   GSL          = /home/u4/hove/gsl/gsl
   INCLUDE      = $(GSL)/include
   LIBPATH      = $(GSL)/lib
   LIBLIST      = -lgsl -lm -lgslcblas
   EXE	     = ising
   OBJECTS      = resample.o ising.o
   CFLAGS       = -O4

   $(EXE):  resample.o ising.o
           $(CC) -o ising -L$(LIBPATH) resample.o ising.o $(LINKFLAGS) $(LIBLIST)

   resample.o: resample.c resample.h
           $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c -I$(INCLUDE) resample.c

   ising.o: ising.c resample.o
           $(CC) $(CFLAGS) -c -I$(INCLUDE) ising.c

_Observe_:

1. Makefiles are quite picky about spaces/tabs - this will probably be
   mixed up if you just cut and paste the message above.

2. This makefile is very verbose.

The file ising.c includes gsl header files as follows:

#include <gsl/gsl_rng.h>

> [...] doesn't work.)

Your chances of getting help on media like this will be much better if
you explain how it failes, and not just simply state "doesn't work".

>Moreover, I also have a problem in the command starting with
>'gsl-config'. It just says 'command not found' when I type, say,
>'gsl-config --libs'. It has to be typed only in specific directory?

Well - this really seems to be a Unix question. Only the executable
files located in your $PATH can be run from everywhere, otherwhise you
have to give full path explicitly. Judging from:

  "gcc -I/home/ken/gnu/include/gsl -lgsl"

it seems to me that you have installed gsl with a
prefix=/home/ken/gnu, and in that case you should find 'gsl-config' in
"/home/ken/gnu/bin" - or you could try 'locate gsl-config' if yoy have
the locate program installed.

Good luck

Joakim

--
==== Joakim Hove      www.phys.ntnu.no/~hove/   =======================
|| Institutt for fysikk  (735) 93637 / E3-166  |  Skøyensgate 10D    ||