Re: Proposal for non-malloc versions of block, vector, matrix functions

William Brower writes:
 > An example where we find it useful though is in some thread
 > that is called 10 times a second which would need to call
 > gsl_matrix_alloc. Instead, we would call it once in an initialization
 > function, and then use the matrix_noalloc_from_mem function in the
 > thread workhorse and pass to it the pointer from the malloc.
 >
 > We use GSL version 0.6 (or principle reason for not upgrading
 > to version 0.7 and beyond is the maintenace of these new
 > functions). Our question is: would you entertain the idea
 > of adding functions such as these to the GSL repository?

Yes, that sounds reasonable.  If it is just a question of adding the
function as in the email then that is pretty straightforward and I can
do that.  If you have other functions feel free to send me a patch.  I
will probably want to change the function names to use an "_array"
suffix which I had in mind for this type of function.