Re: minimization of functions of several variables

> I have encountered a problem of finding a minimum of a function of =
> several variables in a situation when finding the derivatives is =
> complicated (impossible). In GSL there seems to be only the simulated =
> annealing algorithm implemented that suits. Has anybody tried it in the =
> multidimensional case?

It's true, the multidimensional minimizers are all gradient based.
You can use them if you provide a function which computes the gradient
part numerically.  We should provide some derivative-free minimization
routines, but no one has implemented any yet.