Re: gsl on IRIX 6.5

On Thu, 18 May 2000, Toby White wrote:

> I've just checked out the cvs sources and compiled them under
> IRIX 6.5. The following problems arose; I have no idea how
> serious they are, but I thought I'd mention them anyway.
>
> 1) The irix make won't work; it chokes on the generated makefile
> at the following line:
>
> DEPS_MAGIC := $(shell mkdir .deps > /dev/null 2>&1 || :)
>
> I'm afraid I don't know enough to say either what's wrong or
> how it might be fixed.

This is an artifact of using the CVS sources.  The automake-generated
makefiles are, by default, `developer' makefiles that use GNUisms in the
dependency-tracking code, as you've discovered.  You'll probably find that
IRIX cc cannot be used, either (depending on how new your automake is).
There is no way around this.

The good news is that by doing "make dist", you get a tar file with
`installer' makefiles that do _not_ require GNU make (or GNU cc)!

So it is not a general problem; it is only the CVS-ers that need to be
aware of this.

Cheers,
-smr