gsl on IRIX 6.5

I've just checked out the cvs sources and compiled them under
IRIX 6.5. The following problems arose; I have no idea how
serious they are, but I thought I'd mention them anyway.

1) The irix make won't work; it chokes on the generated makefile
at the following line:

DEPS_MAGIC := $(shell mkdir .deps > /dev/null 2>&1 || :)

I'm afraid I don't know enough to say either what's wrong or
how it might be fixed. GNU make works fine though. Might be
worth noting in the MACHINES file that GNU make is required.

2) make threw up the following errors not noted in MACHINES

qr.c: In function `gsl_linalg_QR_QTvec':
qr.c:274: warning: passing arg 1 of `gsl_matrix_column' discards `const' from po
inter target type
qr.c: In function `gsl_linalg_QR_unpack':
qr.c:318: warning: passing arg 1 of `gsl_matrix_column' discards `const' from po
inter target type

3) make check flagged several errors (151 to be exact) not
shown in KNOWN_PROBLEMS (plus the failure from monte already
noted by Steve Robbins); all of them in the ieee-utils
directory. I have no idea how serious they are. There is too
much to send to the list, so I have extracted all the results
from that directory, and put them at

http://ket.ch.cam.ac.uk/people/tow/makecheck

This was using

ket%gcc -v                                                              12:31AM
Reading specs from /usr/freeware/lib/gcc-lib/mips-sgi-irix6.2/2.8.1/specs
gcc version 2.8.1

(I know this is an outdated version of gcc that doesn't match the os
version, but that's what's available.)

Toby White

--
Toby White, University Chemical Lab., Lensfield Road, Cambridge. CB2 1EW. U.K.
<tow@theor.ch.cam.ac.uk> for archival and encrypted mail. GPG Key ID: 1DE9DE75