Re: open source, open science conference

    Brian> Maybe this is the time to update the design document
    Brian> gsl-design.texi.  For a poster I would just summarize what
    Brian> we set out to do and what we have done so far. That should
    Brian> be enough -- since we have already been doing this for a
    Brian> while that is the main angle.  Perhaps you will find some
    Brian> recruits there.

I'm been thinking of updating it to include a lot of the rearranging
that has happened since you and Jerry got obsessed :-)

    Brian> If you give a talk: the "open source" conference title
    Brian> needs to be dealt with.

I agree: first of all, they might be violating the certification mark
since most of the talks are on OpenGL and stuff like that (SGI is
sponsoring it).  Second, I prefer the term "free software".  Were you
thinking of something else?

    Brian> As for government labs endorsing free software, that is a
    Brian> potential can of worms.

Yeah, but James might be making some progress in that direction.
There is a possible path which (if navigated very accurately) can lead
to a public domain stamping of the software.

In any case, if Brookhaven works on GPLing their software, we can see
if they get good results and then try their approach.