system call stubs in glibc

There are system calls which exist in the Linux kernel on some
architectures but not others.  For example time(2) and stime(2) exist
on all architectures but alpha and ia64.  I assume these are
implemented by glibc using gettimeofday(2) and settimeofday(2) on
alpha and ia64, correct?

If so, how does glibc know, which system calls on which architectures
exist, and when to implement them using other calls?  Is this
configured in some architecture-depend config file or does glibc check
itself for the availability of system calls like time(2) and stime(2)?

The reason I ask is, I'd like to know, if I would remove time() and
stime() from the kernel on my i386/Linux, would glibc, when configured
and compiled again running on that modified kernel, use
get/settimeofday() or would it fail when someone uses time() or
stime()?

urs