RE: Error 127 in install of glibc 2.2.3

Hi Allin,

Many, many thanks for your response.

I think you're leading me in the right direction, but we haven't got there
yet...

>> Configure, make and make check all went smoothly. make install
>> however, returned an error - error 127. Then my machine froze. At
>> this stage I am not able to log in, and rebooting results in an
>> init error: error while loading shared libraries: cannot open
>> shared object file: cannot load shared object file: no such file
>> or directory.
>
> I'd try booting from a rescue diskette, then mount your hard drive and
> take a look at the contents of /lib.  See if the make install got as
> far as putting the new libs in place (e.g., most importantly for
> logging in, libc-2.2.3.so, ld-2.2.3.so and libcrypt-2.2.3.so).  If so,
> you should check that appropriate symlinks exist:

I'd booted from a rescue diskette, but I didn't know what I was looking for.
Yes, the libraries mentioned above were all there.

> libc.so.6 -> libc-2.2.3.so
Yes

> ld-linux.so -> ld-linux.so.2
No

> ld-linux.so.2 -> ld-2.2.3.so
Yes

> libcrypt.so -> libcrypt.so.1
No

> libcrypt.so.1 -> libcrypt-2.2.3.so
Yes

> Check also that /sbin/ldconfig exists and has the same date as the new
> C libraries.

Yes, it has.

> In general, it's a good idea to go to single-user mode ("telinit 1")
> when doing a make install on glibc.

Yes I did that - the documentation makes the same point, and I was trying to
follow it to the letter.

I made the symlinks you mentioned above which were missing from my system
and tried a reboot. No good. Same error. Are there other symlinks which
might not be present?

Or is there a way to see which file init is looking for? Or a log of the
make install that will tell us when it collapsed?

Thanks again,

Nick