Re: Y2K question

On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, David Eduardo Gomez Noguera wrote:

> On Wed, 2 Feb 2000, Wolfgang Sourdeau wrote:
> dont know, but i have seen the same behavior with netscape and javascript,
> showing ddates as 100 or in some cases 99, instead of 2000.

Thanks to the people who replied me, I can guess now that it's a
particularity (whether a bug or a feature) which permits to
differenciate between 1900's dates and 2000's (and up) dates.

I was told and could verify that this was documented in the man page.
The actual reason for this code is still unknown, but anyway that is the
way it's been working since back to the times of System V R3.

For the lazy programmers such as me who failed to read the documentation
in its integrity, the bug encumbs only to themselves. The fix is quite
easy though: year = (INSTOFSTRUCTTM.tm_date % 100).

Wolfgang
--
Les nombres imitent l'espace, qui est de nature si différente.
Pascal, Pensées