glibc: linux-powerpc cross-compiling and installing

Geoff Keating wrote:

> If so, you shouldn't be configuring glibc with --prefix=/usr/local at
> all, unless the powerpc Linux machine has glibc configured the same
> way.  You almost certainly want to configure it with --prefix=/usr.
> In fact, you want to get the real glibc binaries that will be running
> on the target machine and use that.
>
> However, you don't install it in /usr (unless you want to make your
> i586 system unusable!).  You configure gcc and binutils with, for
> instance, --prefix=/usr/local, have glibc install into say
> /tmp/glibc-root, (but not changing the prefix!) and then copy from
> /tmp/glibc-root/usr/include into
> /usr/local/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/sys-include and from
> /tmp/glibc-root/lib and /tmp/glibc-root/usr/lib into
> /usr/local/powerpc-unknown-linux-gnu/lib.

Yes.  I agree that /usr is the desired prefix and that I should do "make
prefix=/anotherpath install" instead of "make install".
I tried this but the install target seems to recognise that it was configured
with /usr and still overwrites some files in /lib which then makes my native
compiler break.

How does one install in a temporary directory without it touching /lib and
/usr/lib ?

I configured glibc with --prefix=/usr/local/gcc/powerpc-linux and everything
installs fine without upsetting the native compiler and it's libraries.  My
apps also compile fine.  Some libraries can't be found when I try to run the
apps on the powerpc-linux target.  This is because they are being searched
for in /usr/local/gcc/powerpc-linux/lib instead of /usr/lib.  I resolved this
by making a symbolic link from /usr/local/gcc/powerpc-linux/lib to /lib on my
target root filesystem.  This is not the proper solution but it works for
me.  I'd still rather have the correct paths embedded in the libraries so I
need to be able to configure with --prefix=/usr and run "make
prefix=anotherpath install".

Any ideas.
Brendan Simon.