Re: ld.so cares about /usr/X11R6?

 > Question:
 > Why does ld.so cares more about my directory-hierarchie and its symlinks
 > instead to decide from LD_LIBRARY_PATH and /etc/ld.so.cache??
 > How can I run this application even with a symlink from /usr/X11R6 to
 > X11R6-libc6?

If you're running glibc 2.1, try LD_DEBUG=help to see what's possible
and then e.g.:
LD_DEBUG=files ghostview

The problem you describe can happen if you link with
--rpath=/usr/X11R6/lib.  In this case the run path (search path for
libraries) is hardcoded into the binary.  You can check this with
objdump.

Andreas
--
 Andreas Jaeger   aj@arthur.rhein-neckar.de    jaeger@informatik.uni-kl.de