overlay debugging question

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with debugging overlays?

The GDB manual gives a brief introduction about it, but during our
own attempts, we have noticed that the addresses in the debugging
info still reference VMAs rather than LMAs, making those addresses
ambiguous. For operations such as computing the backtrace, for
instance, we think this can cause GDB to pick the wrong entry,
leading to a backtrace failure. Also, it looks like, at first sight,
that GDB is doing the searching using the VMA as well. So we don't
really understand how, in theory, things are supposed to work.

Any hints?

Thank you!
--
Joel