Re: vdso handling

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 01:22:58PM -0700, Cary Coutant wrote:
> > I think a case can be made that gdb should be able to use the
> > "execution view" of the program here.
> > As for how to achieve that ... "Discuss." :-)
>
> Add a PT_DEBUG program header entry? The PT_DEBUG segment would need
> to have a small header that allows the debugger to find .debug_abbrev,
> .debug_info, etc. (i.e., a mini section table). Or, just add
> individual program header entries for each of the standard debug
> sections: PT_DEBUG_ABBREV, PT_DEBUG_INFO, etc.

Debug sections are not normally loaded.  For that reason I don't think
it makes any sense to specify program headers for them.  It wouldn't
help in the vdso case anyway, since the problem there is that you only
have the loaded part of the original ELF file.

--
Alan Modra
Australia Development Lab, IBM