Re: [RFC-v2] BFD MinGW/Cygwin build error in bfd/peiXXgen.c

Hi Pierre,

   2) In GDB coding rules, we are not allowed to mix code and declaration.
The declaration of res after handling the ! is_name part
does not follow this rule.
   Isn't that rule also used for Binutils project?

Doh - this is my bad. The rule *is* followed in the Binutils project and I should have caught this before checking in the patch.

I blame the GCC project - ever since they switched over to using C++ I have been developing "bad" C coding habits.

   I moved the declaration of astring, alen, bstring and blen to
the start of the function. It does introduce a penalty, in the sense that
those variables are set even though this is not useful if is_name is false.

I do not see this as a problem. I am much more interested in clean code than in highly optimized, but harder to read code.

Another silly coding style question: Should there by a space
between the address operator "&" and the variable or expression following?

*sigh* There is no strict rule on this subject. Most people omit the space, I include it. I feel that since we separate other operators from their arguments we should do the same with &. I feel the same way about the asterisk operator too, but not many people agree with me on that one either.

   3) I was wondering why the Windows case started at astring + 2,
but I couldn't find any valid reason, so that I changed it to
compare the strings from the first position.

Doh - I was confused by the length field which I thought was included in my string pointer.

   Finally, I also have a question regarding the codepage field.
According to Windows PE resources can use any codepage.
Is the new code restricted to UNICODE only?
If not, shouldn't the rsrc_cmp code also depend on whether
16-bit Windows UNICODE is used or any other page code?

I have no idea. :-( I am not an expert on this subject. According to the "Microsoft Portable Executable and Common Object File Format Specification Revision 8.3 â February 6, 2013" which has been my guide for this work, the codepage field is:

   The code page that is used to decode code point values
   within the resource data. Typically, the code page would be
   the Unicode code page.

But Resource Directory Strings are:

  Offset  Size    Field    Description
  0       2       Length   The size of the string, not including length
                           field itself.

  2      variable Unicode  The variable-length Unicode string data,
                  String   word-aligned.

Ie - the strings are explicitly encoded in Unicode. I think that the codepage field in a resource entry only applies to non-resource-string data.

2013-12-19  Pierre Muller  <muller@sourceware.org>

	peXXigen.c (u16_mbtouc): Avoid unused function warning by excluding if
	__CYGWIN__ or __MINGW32__ macro is defined.
	(rsrc_cmp): Fix Windows host version and version without wchar header.
	[__CYGWIN__, __MINGW32__]: Introduce rsrccmp macro.

Thanks - I have applied this patch.

Cheers
  Nick