Re: Missing separate debuginfos

On 02/19/2013 08:14 PM, Sergio Durigan Junior wrote:
> On Tuesday, February 19 2013, Mahmood Naderan wrote:
>
>> > What is the meaning of this message I see in gdb?
>> >
>> > Loaded symbols for /usr/lib64/libstdc++.so.6
>> > 0x00000037d6c0f3cb in raise () from /lib64/libpthread.so.0
>> > Missing separate debuginfos, use: debuginfo-install
> It means you don't have the debug information for these specific
> packages/versions.  Unless you want to debug them, you don't really need
> to worry.  If you ever want to debug them, you can run the command
> suggested.

A bit off topic for this list, but I've thought before that
message isn't as clear as it could be.

> Missing separate debuginfos, use: debuginfo-install

I think we could drop "separate", as it is an implementation
detail that shouldn't matter to the user.  "debuginfos" being
plural reads a bit weird to me.  I think this would be a bit
clearer:

Debug info for packages used by the program missing. Install with: debuginfo-install

But of course that may well just be me.

--
Pedro Alves