Re: Will therefore GDB utilize C++ or not?

On 11/22/12 10:46 AM, Jan Kratochvil wrote:
On Mon, 09 Apr 2012 20:41:31 +0200, Pedro Alves wrote:
If you asked me not too long ago, I'd have been strongly in favor
of C++.  However, that is no longer the case.  I'm now pending
towards "no C++".
I have re-read now the thread and I have not found any blocker issues left.

Here is a plan that should IMHO satisfy all the requirements stated here.
I did not reply to C++ disagreements which were already well enough replied
here.

Current gdbserver will be also in C++.

For most embedded Linux kernel targets it will be enough to build the standard
fully featured gdbserver with static libstdc++ (making it only ~2x larger).

There will be also separate minimal gdbserver in plain C.  For some very
minimal targets still running Linux kernel but no longer having C++-capable
compiler or having some other problem running C++.  There was stated no
concrete such target but maybe there exists one.  This minimal server has no
need for non-stop/multi-inferior etc., it will be created by stripping down
the current one; but in fact one can be also easily code it from scratch.

I think for this it should be sufficient to announce an end-of-C point for gdbserver, tag it, and record it on a web page; while it's certainly possible that someone in the future will have need for a C-only gdbserver, I think the chances are vanishingly small, and we shouldn't be using up too many brain cycles designing it.

People that are space-conscious are already using their own stubs or forked versions of gdbserver. I note for instance that we nearly doubled the size of gdbserver's code when we added target-side tracepoint bits a couple years ago, and I don't recall any grousing about it getting too big then. In a world where mega-programs like Firefox fit easily onto a cell phone *now*, I'm not just seeing that any future projects are going to be so tightly constrained that gdbserver size is noticeable.

Stan
stan@codesourcery.com