CVS builds not working with Python?

Hi list,

I can't seem to get a build of gdb from cvs to work properly with Python. When I start gdb I get a warning message, and an attempt to import gdb from Python generates an exception, like so:

 $ ./gdb/gdb -q
Python Exception <type 'exceptions.ImportError'> No module named gdb:

warning: Could not load the Python gdb module from `/usr/local/share/gdb/python'.

warning: Limited Python support is available from the _gdb module.
(gdb) python
>import gdb
>end
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 1, in <module>
ImportError: No module named gdb
Error while executing Python code.
(gdb)

This worked until recently. I've tried it with a clean checkout from two different machines (one CentOS and one Ubuntu) and they both show the problem. I've tried passing --with-python to configure, but it seems to make no difference.

Am I doing something wrong, or has something rotted here recently?

Greg