Re: sun compiler and gdb

>>>>> "Tomasz" == Tomasz Grobelny <tomasz@grobelny.oswiecenia.net> writes:

Tomasz> Reading symbols from /login/sg209371/gdbtest/a.out.sparc...expanding to
Tomasz> full symbols...Die: DW_TAG_<unknown> (abbrev 9, offset 0x1bb)

You want DIE 0x1bb...

Tomasz>   parent at offset: 0x197

... or perhaps 0x197 ...

Tomasz> With the relevant portion of dwarfdump looking like this:
Tomasz> <2><  443>	DW_TAG_SUN_class_template

But this appears to be DIE 0x443.

Tomasz> Shouldn't unknown tag just be ignored?

Yes, but I think what is happening is that you have one DIE which uses
DW_AT_type to refer to another DIE, and gdb doesn't know what to do with
the type DIE.

Tomasz> I searched for other tags that might be compiler specific and
Tomasz> here is the list:

Those are actually attributes; tags would be DW_TAG_something.

Tomasz> Are any of these supported or (at least) explicitly ignored by gdb?

AFAIK, no Sun extensions to DWARF are supported by gdb.
Generally they should be ignored, but as you've seen, there are
sometimes exceptions.  My impression is that this part of gdb is not
heavily tested.

Tom