Annotations, level 2

Hi all,

For the last while I have been working on bringing the concept of
Frame filters to the Python API.  This has been going super.  However
in "print_frame_info", annotations are attached to the printed frame
sub-sections -- but only if annotations are set to "2".

To my knowledge, emacs is the only user "I know about" that still uses
annotations, and it uses level "3".

Ordinarily, this would not be a problem, but the annotation call for
the beginning of frame printing requires a frame architecture.  This
spoils the abstract notion of Frame filters (frame filters can wrap a
frame, or just simulate one).  I could probably mock up a dummy-frame,
but I got to be thinking, is it worth that effort?  I don't think so.

These annotations are only exposed to level 2, and after (an
admittedly brief) search, I can no find no product or project that
uses annotations beyond emacs.  As the annotation calls for frames is
exclusively "2" (IE, == 2), and, as far as I can tell, emacs does not use
these markups.

So what's the approach here?  Do I have to support it just because it
is there?

Cheers,

Phil