Re: Will therefore GDB utilize C++? Not.

On 06/04/12 23:16, Joel Brobecker wrote:
I do not recommend that GDB use C++.

All it requires is a few more short lines of explanatory design
notes scattered through the code and clarity of thought.

This is almost offensive. If it was that easy, how about you start sending some patches?

I made up a heap of gdb patches over several months for a microcontroller a few years ago, and used those patches for real work. There was still a bit of buggyness i couldn't fix.

I did not submit them because i could not verify them in a robust way due to the gdb internals documentation i found very lacking, but my (lack of) knowledge of unix process handling was a contributor too.

I definitely would not have put in the effort if it meant dealing with C++.

I'm not doing any gdb work until i understand how the debugging format works.
There is not much documentation on that.

The coding is easy. Lack of documentation is the hard part. Using C++ isn't magically going to make the internals of gdb easier to maintain.