Re: Reading dynamic symbols from Linux core files?

On Fri, 16 Mar 2012 19:38:40 +0100, John Gilmore wrote:
> Martin and Jan Kratochvil are currently chasing a problem with finding
> and getting "debug symbol" packages in Fedora 14

There may be some prelink related problem but I have no more ideas:
	http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2012-March/164047.html

> I'm not sure exactly where in the code it should be trying to find the
> dynamic symbol table from the core file and extracting the symbols from it.

gdb/symfile-mem.c
bfd/elfcode.h NAME(_bfd_elf,bfd_from_remote_memory)

The problem usually was - at least in some Fedoras + RHELs - that vDSO has
overgrown 4KB.  The loadable segment remained in the first 4KB part but
debugging symbols spanned more pages which led to bfd_from_remote_memory
cutting off the debug symbols.  Recent Fedora patch for it is:
	http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/gitweb/?p=gdb.git;a=blob_plain;f=gdb-6.6-bfd-vdso8k.patch;hb=master

Regards,
Jan