RE: software breakpoint in gdb

In fact, I believe fast tracepoints in GDB had to deal with this very
limitation. Fast tracepoints don't use an interrupt instruction (too slow)
but instead use a jump instruction; that jump takes the execution to another
location to execute the tracepoint directly in the program.  Because we
cannot replace more than one instruction, fast tracepoints are only allowed
on 5-byte instructions (actually, 4-byte instructions starting with GDB 7.4).

Marc