Re: Toward multicore GDB - Set theory

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 12:37 PM, Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com> wrote:

> > I think in the past we talked about square brackets and prefix.
> > How about we consider that as a straw proposal?
> >
> > (gdb) [0-13] print x
>
> I like this option best.

Me, too.? I expect this to be a power user feature and plumbing for
IDEs; you won't very often want to specify this stuff by hand.  But if
we make it easy to name groups of threads, then the abbreviations may
be more commonly used.  Ideally I'd like to be able to hook this with
Python, so that a new thread can be categorized in some
application-specific way.

For example, it's common in the program I work on to have pools of
threads for a specific purpose.  You don't always want to treat the
request processing threads and the RPC threads the same way, but you
don't care which request processing thread hits your breakpoint - and
they can be created and destroyed dynamically.

--
Thanks,
Daniel