Re: GIT and CVS

On Thu, 13 Oct 2011, Joel Brobecker wrote:

> IMO: discussions about which system is better are almost useless.
> Nothing will happen until we have a plan. Discussions about what
> the problems are are more useful, as someone motivated might be able
> to craft a plan that can be accepted and then implemented.

Indeed, we need a plan that deals with all the different bits of
infrastructure and documentation needing updating.

I support a move to a DVCS, probably git, keeping ChangeLogs as-is,
keeping binutils and GDB together but not the other pieces not listed in
(a) and (b) in <http://gcc.gnu.org/ml/gcc/2011-03/msg00486.html>, with the
new repository having copies of the required shared toplevel files but not
being the master for them (that being a separate repository if there is a
single master at all), with the gdbtk bits preferably but not necessarily
going in a separate repository or branch.

--
Joseph S. Myers
joseph@codesourcery.com