Re: ReBranch - a record-replay debugging tool

Yes, you are right.

(P.S:
On the perspective of user processes, all IO interactions are come from
system calls, so for single thread processes, most of the time recording
system calls is enough for data-flow. The only exception I have seen is
vmsplice(): it temporary makes shared memory between 2 processes.)

> Hi,
>
> For data flow, recording syscall is not enough. There may be IO interaction.
> I think your current implementation looks like a PC tracing, replaying tool.
>
> Robert
>
>> From: pi3orama <pi3orama@gmail.com>
>> To: paawan oza <paawan1982@yahoo.com>
>> Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 17:34:23 +0800
>> Subject: Re: ReBranch - a record-replay debugging tool
>> In multi-thread situation, nearly all data-flow information is lost
>> because of propagation. However, in single thread situation, signal
>> processing and system call results are all recorded and replayed, all
>> data-flow info can still be restored.
>>
>>> ok got that point.
>>> so in conclusion, any data-flow info which is reponsible for crash may not be
>>> caught by rebranch, or there is a way ?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Oza.