GDB can't find section '.data' warning and input/output error

I’m trying to get gdb to work (to track down another error I’ll have
to deal with later!), but am having little success.
I initially had a load of dwarf errors, so used mac ports to get the
latest gdb, and am now using that (by creating a symlink to the latest
gdb in my $HOME/bin directory).
When I start gdb in EMACS, it confirms that it is version 7.2.
However, when I try to load a file, I get errors like the following:

> Reading symbols from /Users/douglivesey/work/cpp/cell_biots/features/run_features...warning: can't find section '.data' in OSO file /Users/douglivesey/work/cpp/cell_biots/features/generating_a_game_feature.o
> warning: can't find section '.data' in OSO file /Users/douglivesey/work/cpp/cell_biots/features/run_features.o

When I set breakpoints on functions, they seem to be okay, but no red
dot appears to tell me where it is.
Then, when I try to run the program, I get this error:

> Starting program: /Users/douglivesey/work/cpp/cell_biots/features/run_features
> Warning:
> Cannot insert breakpoint 1.
> Error accessing memory address 0x1552: Input/output error.

Could anyone advise me on what I’m doing wrong, or what I can do to fix this?
The full output of my last attempt is here: https://gist.github.com/973003
When I try to set a breakpoint on the file by line number, I get this:
https://gist.github.com/973005

Further information is: I’m on a Macbook Pro, running Snow Leopard,
using gcc-mp-4.6 from mac ports (it’s a beta release, but the most
up-to-date there is on there), and using the latest fsf-gdb from mac
ports, which is 7.2.
Any & all help would be very gratefully received.

Thanks,

?? Doug.