Re: Differentiating symbols in multiple copies of shared libraries

Avi> A developer in our organization added some code to allow
Avi> differentiation between symbols with the same name in different
Avi> object files. This feature is enabled once a GDB variable called
Avi> symlib is set.

Avi> Presumably this addition is not written according to GNU policy or
Avi> GDB conventions, yet this feature is important as discussed below.

Avi> Could you recommend on a procedure for promoting this required
Avi> feature (or anyway merge the source code to GDB)? Is there any
Avi> contact for working with for forwarding the implementation
Avi> (currently diff in 4 files: minsym.c, stack.c, symtab.h, symtab.c)?

I think the best thing to do is to follow the usual patch submission
rules: do your best to make it conform to GNU style guidelines, write a
ChangeLog entry, etc, then send it to the gdb-patches list.

Since it sounds like a big(-ish) patch, I will get you started on the
copyright assignment paperwork.  I'll send a note off-list about this.

I would warn you to expect some push-back on the details of your
approach.  If you want to work out the user interface details before
submitting, that would be fine too -- just post your plan to this list.

Tom