catchpoint question

I'm trying a simple catchpoint test on Windows and it's not working as I expect. I have a simple test program that, in a loop, throws a C++ exception and catches it. I debug it with gdb, break on main(), do a 'catch throw', continue the program, and the loop runs to completion before the breakpoint (catchpoint) is hit. In other words, the catchpoint is hit, but not by the throw statements in the loop.

I'm trying this with MinGW 7.0.

John