Re: time to be serious about dropping CVS

On 08 Jan 2010, at 13:58, Phil Muldoon wrote:

I don't know why CVS is so slow.  Whether it is CPU bound on the
sourceware machine, or the bandwidth at the hosting site is at
capacity .. who knows?  I'm not even sure how to find out.  But would
SVN solve any of the problem relating to performance?

Probably, yes. CVS does virtually everything on the server. A cvs diff sends a full copy of every potentially modified local file (i.e., those of which the time stamp has changed) to the remote server, the server diffs it, and then sends a diff back to the client. Similarly, when you commit then a complete copy of all potentially modified local files is sent to the server, instead of only a diff, and the server has to create a diff. In case of svn, all the diff'ing is done on the client side and the client only ever sends diffs to the server (of actually modified files).

Of course, git can do even more on the client side.

Jonas