Problems setting breakpoints in threaded applications

Using gdb 6.8 or 7.0 on Debian (Lenny) I am having problems setting
breakpoints in our threaded (libpthread-2.7.so) applications.
Breakpoints do not get hit and the applications run very slowly. Symbols
seem to have loaded and stack trace looks fine.

The applications are cross compiled for i686 (32bit) using a
Crosstool-NG built toolchain. The toolchain consists of: gcc 4.2.0,
glibc 2.9, binutils 2.19.1. The applications are then run on a Debian
(Lenny) AMD64 target. Gdb 6.8 and 7.0 both see the same issue. Simple
non-threaded application run and debug fine.

Not sure if there is an issue using the toolchain 2.9 versions pthread
and glibc and Debian target 2.7 pthread/glibc? libc and libpthread are
dynamically loaded and are not stripped.

Any insight would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Mark