Re: time to be serious about dropping CVS

> Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 12:01:37 +0400
> From: Joel Brobecker <brobecker@adacore.com>
>
> Hello everyone,
>
> Happy New Year!
>
> Since I started using SVN, and even more so since I started using git,
> I have found that using CVS is very inconvenient, bordering on unbearable.
> But now that I'm making massive mechanical changes (Start of New Year
> procedure), I am really having a hard time accepting it - Just to do a diff
> in order to verify my changes took 11mins. Same for the commit.  Another
> smaller diff aborted 2mins after I started it because I made a mistake
> in the command line.
>
> There is no reason why every contributor should be continuing to waste
> more time because we're stuck with an outdated tool.

SVN is acceptable.  I simply cannot wrap my head around git.  I've
tried.  There's no equivalent of a quick "cvs update" of a checked out
tree that contains modifications.  And I can't get myself to commit
half-finished or half-tested changes to a local repo.  And even when I
get over that barrier I'd need to think for a couple of minutes to
write an appopriate commit message.  So instead I find myself moving
modified source files out of my tree, spending half an hour browsing
the web to figure out how I can get back the origional unmodified
source file, update the tree, compare the new source file with the one
I saved and applying the changes by hand.

If we switch to using git, I'll probably stop contributing to GDB.