Re: Extended a new target from target remote

On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 10:21:55PM -0400, Daniel Jacobowitz wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2009 at 08:11:48PM -0400, Joshua D. Boyd wrote:
> > What version of GDB was that added in?  I should have mentioned that I
> > picked up hacking on the internal GDB 6.1, which I realize is extremely
> > old and I should have mentioned that up front, and is a little
> > embarassing.
>
> That version probably *has* extended-remote, but don't use it.  If you
> are interested in anything remotely current, update to GDB 7.0 just
> released.

It does have extended-remote, but I will refrain from using it.

I tried briefly to move this work up to GDB 7.0, but I got trying to
move the bfd changes forward and had to put the upgrade to the side for
now.  GDB 7.0 certainly looks great though.  This is the first time I've
ran around installing a new version of GDB from source on every linux
machine I use.

> So you are making changes to GDB, just not to the remote target?

I'm not certain if you mean a remote target in terms of something new
compared to "target remote" or "target core", or if you mean a remote
target as in what is being debugged on the cluster.

I have added a new target (-tdep.[ch] + configuration/build changes), a
few new commands, a GDB server in the middle to hide from the GDB client
the fact that multiple connections are involved  and as well as protocol
differences (this does not use TCP), and a GDB "server" embedded in the
compute kernel (the system uses a lightweight compute kernel instead of
linux.).

I am new to working on GDB as anything other than a user and am trying
to come up to speed quickly on the parts it looks like I need to
complete a first implementation.