Re: Documentation generated from sources proposal

On Tue, 13 Oct 2009 20:18:28 +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> No, the format generated from the comments must be Texinfo.

Are there some specific technical or FSF reasons?

The reference manuals are normally delivered as HTML.
http://library.gnome.org/devel/gtk/stable/
http://java.sun.com/javase/6/docs/api/

> Can't we use whatever libiberty is using (gather-doc), and format the
> comments as it does?  Why do we need to switch to such drastically
> different tools?

I freely admit a side track of my proposal was to be able to start writing the
doc in a different format than texinfo.

Still a .c-placed doc even in the texinfo format I find a useful improvement.

Regards,
Jan