Re: gdb.git mirror is broken

On Tue, Oct 6, 2009 at 9:29 PM, Matt Rice <ratmice@gmail.com> wrote:
<snip>

> by splitting bfd out, then subtree-merging it back in,
> then doing a subtree merge to the separated bfd, when binutils changes...
>
> one of the downsides to this is it is going to create alot of merge
> commits which looks kind of funky in the separated bfd's gitk,

<snip>
It just occurred to me that when merging from the large combined tree
back into the split out subtrees, assuming that these simply track the
main tree and nobody is given write access
I believe we can safely

$ git fetch binutils
$ git rebase -s subtree binutils/master

instead of the
$ git merge -s subtree binutils/master

without worrying about rebase rewriting commits, since it is strictly a sink.
instead of git merge -s subtree and avoid all of these merge commits