sim/common/version.in?

Hi.

IWBN if one could build a simulator in src/sim without requiring
the gdb sources in src/gdb.
This is doable today (for the sim I tried, m32r) with one nit:
src/gdb/version.in.

A cronjob could periodically update src/sim/common/version.in from
src/gdb/version.in, for example.
That would still leave updating the file for releases,
but if there was a script that was run to help prep a release,
it could also copy src/gdb/version.in to src/sim/common/version.in.

I'm fine with things being the way they are, but the topic has
come up, so I'm pinging the community for opinions.