Re: how to debug mips or arm platform applications by cgdb

loody wrote:
Hi:

2009/6/7 Duane Ellis <duane@duaneellis.com>:
loody> Would someone tell me how to debug mips or arm applications by CGDB.

duane> You need to describe your target better.

[... snip ...]

[answer: Basically a standalone board, NO OS]

duane> ....
In this case, 2 options:

(a) A serial rom monitor that talks the GDB protocol (very rare these days,
most people use jtag).

(b) A JTAG dongle, and software for that jtag dongle that understands the
GDB protocol.

You'll need to *PURCHASE* a jtag dongle (or make one) - I highly recommend a
"USB based ftdi-2232 based dongle", and *STRONGLY* do not recommend a
"printer-port" solution.

The "jtag dongle method" - is 80% identical to the GDBREMOTE example above -
but is more complicated (20%) because you have to create an initialization
script to setup your target board, program the cpu clocks, erase & program
the flash memory, stuff like that.

A *VERY* common JTAG solution (de-facto for ARM) is:  "openocd" - see:
 http://openocd.berlios.de/web

In the JTAG dongle case, GDB talks "target remote" to a
GDB server program running on Linux, or Windows, or in some cases the DONGLE is really a tiny
computer that talks the GDBSERVER protocol over Ethernet (the Zylin zy1000
is an example, it actually runs OpenOCD inside).

loody> ...
from the case you mention above, there seems a gdbserver running on
the dongle not on the target board such that
when we send gdb protocol from host to the dongle, it can translate it
to the proper jtag instructions to handle the target board.

Is my assumption correct?
Thanks for your help,

Yes, exactly. Some are standalone and self contained "dongles" - ie: ZYLIN Z1000 (it has an Ethernet connector). Others are a cheap piece of hardware (few chips) and the software runs on your PC under windoze, or Linux (ie: OpenOCD is an example of that).

If the GDB server runs on the target (with no operating system present) - it is most typically a ROM monitor of some sort. The problem with this sort of platform is this: If your program goes off into the weeds - so might your ROM monitors ability to respond to GDB requests. Example: You are using a serial port to respond to GDB requests. If your program *disables* interrupts and gets hung up, there will be no more serial port interrupts. GDB will be ignored.

Another variant of this is a commercial product. In the past I used the "ARM" version of the "EPI TOOLS" majic debugger. Which, is/was a fantastic package with fantastic support. Today, they are owned by Mentor. I have no experience since Mentor's acquisition, nor their MIPS variant of their debuggers. My experience with Mentor though has always been very positive.

http://www.mentor.com/products/embedded_software/majic-jtag-probe/

Another variant is offered by "Green Hills Software".
And another is Lauterbach software.
(They also often include/require use of their compiler and/or tools).

-Duane.

Be