Re: Registering pretty-printers

On Thu, Jun 11, 2009 at 1:29 AM, Vladimir Prus<vladimir@codesourcery.com> wrote:

> I think it's generally wrong to assume that pretty-printers are either:
> 1. Always distributed with the library they provide pretty-printing for
> 2. Are associated with any separately compiled code.

Perhaps my proposal for ".gdb_py" section here:
  http://sourceware.org/ml/archer/2008-q4/msg00162.html
deserves another look?

Maybe we don't even need a separate section; just a convention that any
variable linked into executable, named "gdb_python_.*_source_me" and
containing ASCII be "python sourced" by GDB?

The Boost code could declare:

  const char gdb_python_Boost_Array_source_me[] = "...python code here...";

in the header, and voila: GDB knows how to print boost::array.

This could also be easily distributed separately from the library, and
the user will just have to link in gdb_boost_array_printer.c into his exe.

--
Paul Pluzhnikov