Re: corelow and threads question

Thanks for replying.

Ok, then I think what you wanted to commit works for me (I am talking about: http://sourceware.org/ml/gdb-patches/2009-06/msg00112.html).

As for extra thread info, I guess if we have "core_pid_to_str" to be a thing of architecture, then extra thread info from core fits there too.

But I am still not happy about having to expand gdbarch whenever I have something specific to my architecture for a particular stratum - maybe it does belong there but the target stack mechanism seems attractive for using in "fine-tuning" existing targets ("strata"). This will really lead us to having target_ops functions per each predefined strata in gdbarch (i.e. customization for core, for process, for thread...)

I was playing (in my head) with idea of defining new "gdbarch_stratum" that would be used on top of other strata... for example, having one gdbarch_stratum per defined stratum (i.e. gdbarch_stratum+file_stratum - to allow gdbarch customize file_stratum, gdbarch_stratum + core_stratum for customizing core stuff, etc...); we would have to "spread" stratums in "strata" enum and insert gdbarch_ versions above correspoinding strata... that way I could really customize each of the strata for my architecture only by overriding corresponding _ops functions without having to add new function to gdbarch interface and regenerating gdbarch files.

Something like this (just an illustration):

enum strata
  {
    dumm_stratum = 0,
    gdbarch_stratum = 1,
    file_stratum = 2,
    core_stratum = 4,
    process_stratum = 6,
    thread_stratum = 8,
    record_stratum = 10
  };

Then I would be able to "inject" my:

  nto_core_ops.to_stratum = gdbarch_stratum + core_stratum;

/* But NO add_target(&nto_core_ops); */

Then, somewhere in core_open:

/* insert gdbarch specific core stratum just above core_stratum */
if (gdbarch_has_stratum (gdbarch_stratum + core_stratum))
push_target (gdbarch_stratum (gdbarch_stratum + core_stratum));

Thanks,

-- Aleksandar Ristovski QNX Software Systems