Re: Is this a bug or as designed?

Hi:

Sorry being so late to reply your last message.
I tried your patch(es) on weekly release gdb-weekly-CVS-6.8.50.20090210.tar.bz2
and found following problems.

1
It seems macro I386_WATCHPOINTS_IN_TARGET_VECTOR was introduced into
file nm-i386.h some time after version 6.8.
If your patch applied, It undefines macro TARGET_CAN_USE_HARDWARE_WATCHPOINT
in nm-i386, which breaks gdb when debug on i386 with target exec.
I checked sources and found that gdb won't push target win32_ops till
the inferior's
first running, leading to hardware watchpoint not supported at first,
like following outputs:

>./gdb.exe
GNU gdb (GDB) 6.8.50.20090209-cvs
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-cygwin".
(gdb) file dummy.exe
Reading symbols from
/cygdrive/g/work/gdb/gdb-updated/native-target/bin/dummy.exe...done.
(gdb) awatch a
Target does not support this type of hardware watchpoint.
(gdb)
-----------------------------cut here
There are several other macros influenced by
I386_WATCHPOINTS_IN_TARGET_VECTOR too,
But I think at least TARGET_CAN_USE_HARDWARE_WATCHPOINT should be moved out of
the #ifndef I386_WATCHPOINTS_IN_TARGET_VECTOR ... #endif context.

I'm afraid this problem also exist under linux now.

2
as why hardware watchpoint not working in windows gdbserver,
It is because windows gdbserver does not implement the "Z" packets right now.
So it still unavailable after applying your patch.
I guess maybe the reason is no one will debug win32/linux applications remotely.

Anyway I found it's quite easy to support "Z" packets for windows gdbserver
just by reusing following functions in file i386-nat.c:

  i386_insert_watchpoint,
  i386_remove_watchpoint,
  i386_stopped_by_watchpoint,
  i386_stopped_data_address,