Process Record and Remote debugging

Hi,

As Process Record and Replay is in the process of being submitted and I
would
really like to see it accepted, I thought it would be useful to report
the small problems I found, while using it.

I was pleasantly surprised to find out I was able to do reverse
debugging
when attaching to an already running process.  This is great!

I then tried remote reverse debugging using gdbserver.  It performed
better
than I expected, but I saw two problems.

1- After you run the 'target' command and are connected to gdbserver,
the program is considered running; so instead of run, one must use
continue; that seems to allow for the 'record' command to be used right
away
after the 'target' command.  However, when I do that and then try to
'continue' Process Record gives an error and the program cannot run.

The workaround is to set a breakpoint on main(), 'continue' and -then-
turn on 'record'.  The error I get is shown in the small session at the
end of the mail.

2- For some reason, when doing remote debugging with record on, when
I step over a printf GDB takes many seconds to come back.  And when I
tried to step over a malloc, I didn't have the patience to wait for
GDB to come back, it was so long.  Without 'record' it of course works.

Considering I didn't think Process Record worked with attach or remote
debugging, I was very impressed with these finding.

Marc

GNU gdb (GDB) 6.8.50.20090113-cvs
<http://gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html>
There is NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by law.  Type "show
copying"
and "show warranty" for details.
This GDB was configured as "i686-pc-linux-gnu".
(gdb) target remote localhost:10008
Remote debugging using localhost:10008
0xb7f9d840 in _start () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
(gdb) b main
Breakpoint 1 at 0x8048a7f: file ../testapp.cc, line 195.
(gdb) record
(gdb) c
Continuing.
Process record doesn't support instruction rdtsc.
Process record doesn't support instruction 0xf31 at address 0xb7f9dfa7.
0xb7f9dfa7 in _dl_start () from /lib/ld-linux.so.2
Process record: failed to record execution log.