Re: how to make gdb happy with my linkmap

On Mon, Jan 05, 2009 at 03:58:39PM +0100, Mathieu Lacage wrote:
> What I find weird is:
> 1) mathieu@mathieu-boulot:~/code/elf-loader$ readelf -s ./ldso |grep stage1
>    225: 00000932   135 FUNC    GLOBAL HIDDEN    6 stage1
> mathieu@mathieu-boulot:~/code/elf-loader$ readelf -l ./ldso
>
> Elf file type is DYN (Shared object file)
> Entry point 0x932
> There are 6 program headers, starting at offset 52
> [...]
>
> i.e., stage1 is located at offset 0x932, and not 0x944 so, I can't
> figure out where the 0x944 displayed by gdb is coming from.

That's prologue skipping; it's just walking past the frame setup.
This helps GDB to display function arguments correctly.

> I also
> find it surprising that gdb is actually trying to set a breakpoint at
> address 0x944: this is a pie binary so, gdb should know that the
> address will be known only once the program is run....

This is the same problem as PIE support.  Ubuntu and Fedora carry some
patches to improve PIE support; I think that Jan K. was talking about
merging those at some point.  I haven't looked at them in years.

--
Daniel Jacobowitz
CodeSourcery