Re: Reconstructing corrupt stacks/patching frame pointers

Eric Cooper wrote:
Hello,
  I have a kernel core dump with a corrupt stack and I can identify the stack location that is corrupted and what it should be and I want to write the correct frame pointer to the stack so that bt and frame x work. I have tried that using the "set" command and it says:
  kvm_write not implemented for dead kernels.

I see this code is in kvm-fbsd.c (I am using BSD) and I have hacked around a little bit to allow the write but ultimately it fails on writes to /dev/kmem. Is there a reasonable way to do what I want to achieve?

I presume this is a core dump from a Free BSD system.

Unfortunately, for the most part, the folks here in the gdb
maintainer group don't play a very active role in maintaining
the bits for gdb on BSD.  Somebody may correct me if I'm wrong...

You may need to approach the Free BSD community for this.